Wednesday April 23, 2014
What do you have planned for the first Saturday in May? Are you heading to a Derby party? Have tickets to the track? There are so many ways to celebrate the Kentucky Derby, from all-out galas to backyard barbecues. So start gearing up. After all, it's Derby, darlin'!
Here are a few ways to get in the Derby spirit:
Information on Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby
Top Kentucky Derby Festival Events
Thursday April 17, 2014
Belle of Louisville turns 100 this year. In her honor, a Centennial Festival of Riverboats will be rocking Louisville Waterfront from October 14-19, 2014.
Plans for this celebration have already begun. For example, an international design competition was held for a proposed temporary pavilion designed for festival activities. Architects, designers, and artists submitted proposals for a small-scale, temporary and multipurpose pavilion. Current Affairs: Louisville Waterfront Pavilion Competition, is an exhibit of these designs. The design entries will be on view at the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft (KMAC) from April 19-June 29.
The winning pavilion will be selected by a jury of regional arts and business leaders and will be announced on June 14, 2014. Visitors to the museum will also be able to vote for a special Viewer's Choice Award.
Spirit of Jefferson Riverboat
Learn More About KMAC
Belle of Louisville Fun Facts
Wednesday April 9, 2014
Did you know National Garlic Day is April 19? I didn't, but now that I know I am certain I will be celebrating. Right now I'm thinking I'll saute up a garlicky dish at home, but if I'm feeling like dining out, I'll head to Bristol Bar & Grill East at 300 N. Hurstbourne Pkwy. They are honoring the spicy bulb with a menu of "garlic soup, a roasted garlic and blue cheese bruschetta appetizer, and Marksburry Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic" on Saturday, April 19.
Here are 5 garlic fun facts to gear up your celebrations.
- Garlic is considered both a vegetable and an herb.
- There are approximately four calories in a clove of garlic.
- Garlic may help to combat disease, colds, and flu. In ancient Greece and Rome, garlic was used as medicine.
- To remove the smell of garlic from your hands, run cold water over your hands while rubbing a stainless steel object.
- Alliumphobia is the fear of garlic. Individuals who experience alliumphobia may also exhibit anxiety or fear to other alliums (bulb plants such as chives, leeks, and onions).
Get Your Garlic Fix:
Top 5 Places for Pizza in Louisville
Buy Garlic at the Bardstown Rd. Farmers Market
Get Fresh & Local Produce at The Root Cellar
Monday April 7, 2014
Looking for a new take on your family's annual egg hunt? Head to Prospect and join the fun as the Easter Bunny drops thousands of eggs from the sky. Along with an action packed egg hunt, expect candy, prizes, games, and inflatables, too.
- When: April 19, 12-2 p.m.
- Where: River Valley Christian Church, 12650 W US Hwy 42, Prospect, KY, 40059
- Cost: Most games and activities are FREE.
The event is optimal for kids through 5th grade. Food available for purchase.
Easter Activities -2014
Top Things to Do with Kids